Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ogilvy & Mather

Ogilvy & Mather is based in NYC and is part of the WPP Holding group. It was founded in 1948 by David Ogilvy and his associates. Some of their major clients (past and present) include: Kodak, Coca-cola, Amway, Adidas, Gillette, Nestle, and Mattel. The following is part of one of my favorite recent campaigns - Scrabble: The Beautiful Word. Ogilvy produces work for Scrabble in several countries worldwide. The following is a commercial produced by Ogilvy & Mather: Paris.



What I love most about this ad (aside from the fact that I am an avid Scrabble player) is that it is so far from the expected Proctor&Gamble-esque ads you'd expect for a bored game. The first time I saw this campagin I honestly was like "what the heck am I watching?" then the end eloquently tied it all together for me: in Scrabble you are building more than words, you are building a story. It put a spin on how you play the game, giving it an additional feature that renews itself each time to scramble the pieces. It's got a cool hipster, Juno feel that almost makes playing Scrabble cool again. In a weird way it reminds me of some of the past M-TV ads that take an abstract approach... I'll find examples of my comparison soon, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment